Monday, December 13, 2010

Bah Humbug

Bah Humbug. That is how I have felt about running lately. Bah Humbug, Blah, Whatever (or Whatevs since that seems to be the cool term now), Ugh, or any other apathetic term will sum it up.

I have been running, and sticking to the schedule for the most part, but I really haven't wanted to. It has been a half hearted effort and the bare minimum. Mediocre has been good enough for me these past few weeks.

I think part of it is the weather. It is really hard to get excited about a 10 mile run when it is -10 degrees outside and your choices are a treadmill, an 1/8 mile indoor concrete track, or a .40 mile padded indoor track that is 45 minutes away. I have come up with every excuse in the book to put off some of these long runs. In the end I have done them but not well.
I think the other part of my blahness is that my body just doesn't do well over 7 miles. You would think that with my body shape I would be made for running but that just isn't the case. Anything under 6 miles and I am fine but over that becomes a real physical struggle. My hips hurt, my feet hurt, I have IT Band issues, Hip Flexor issues, Plantar Fasciitis, and lower back pain. I feel like I am always taping, stretching, and strengthening just to stay ahead of the issues.

My countdown clock says 26 more days until the Walt Disney World Half Marathon and I have such mixed feelings about the race. I am very excited to go to Disney, to run in the park, to run with Chris again, and to experience what is sure to be an awesome time. On the other hand I am just ready for it to be over with.

It really stinks and I hate feeling this way. I'd really like to have the running warm fuzzies again.

5 comments:

  1. good luck at disney!

    hang in there you'll drop a lot of your anxiety soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the bah humbug camp too. After my December 4th 5k, I haven't run again yet. Between the shin splints and general blahness, I've been taking it easy. This week though... I'm getting back into it. You can rally! The race is soon and you're going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to have a fantastic race. There is nothing like a Disney Half Marathon!

    Training this time of year is really a drag, but you'll know it was all worth it the minute you get to Walt Disney World. Once you arrive at the Expo, you'll know you are part of something BIG and exciting.

    The one comment I always hear from WDW Half finishers is "I wish it had lasted longer" and "I can't believe it's over." No matter what your finish time, it always seems to be over too soon.

    And remember, after the race go out to the parks and wear your Donald Medal proudly. You'll be hero-for-the-day with that medal around your neck.

    Best of luck! You're almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you and your Disney Half! Can't wait to read your race report!

    My BFF is a huge Disney fan and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog from the runners database. How did the half marathon go?

    ReplyDelete