Thursday, September 23, 2010

Shoreline Classic 5k


Sunday Chris, Addison, and I all ran in the Shoreline Classic in Decatur, IL. We were in Illinois for a wedding the night before so of course I looked for a race in the area.. Totally addicted, I am.
Chris and I did the 5k and Addison ran in the Mighty Tot Trot.

It was storming on our drive from Springfield to Decatur and cold too. I didn't have high hopes that it was going to clear but I was running no matter what the weather. There were finisher medals! Ill run in blizzards for the bling.

The course was a nice one but had some unexpected hills. It went along the lakeshore and then through a cute neighborhood. Several people were in their front yards, sitting in lawn chairs, yelling encouragement as we ran by. That was nice and did help, especially on the hilly sections. Between the not at all flat course and the super high humidity my lungs/asthma were not having a good day.

But it was fun to run with Chris again. Especially since he attempted to have more positive reinforcement this time and I didnt threaten to duct tape his mouth like I did last time

About half way through the race we picked someone that we wanted to beat and made that the goal for the rest of the race. She was wearing pink, easy to keep an eye on, and was moving quite a bit faster than us. At one point we lost sight of her but we found her again at a hill and we managed to cut some distance. I guess my halfhearted attempts at hill training had paid off a little bit.

With the finish line in sight she kicked it into gear. Ugh. So we did too and clearly I did not learn my lesson from the last time I ran too fast. And clearly I forgot about the high humidity. My lungs were on fire, I was seeing spots, and I wasnt quite sure I was going to make it to the finish trying to run that fast.
Whatever, I was just determined that Pinkie was not going to beat us.

And she didnt! We came in about 5 seconds in front of her. Woot! But I'll be feeling it later..





Waiting to run..


Where's running Waldo?



After..



My fans. Still just two of them.



Truckin'













Location:Decatur, IL

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the strong finish. That's a nice medal for a 5K.

    You'll run in blizzards for the bling? That's the attitude! I'm going to remind you of that in January when it comes time for the WDW Half!

    Last year we had Orlando's first "snowstorm" in 30 years for the start of the race. 13.1 magic miles of snow, sleet, and freezing rain! It was awesome!

    I'm hoping for a more typical Florida January this year for race weekend.

    Glad to see that your training is paying off.

    ReplyDelete