Thursday, September 30, 2010

Omaha Marathon - 10k

Hand crafter finisher medals. They were given to us at the finish line by Marines in full dress uniforms. Pretty cool!

Apparently I have short term memory loss when it comes to races. During the race I have all these observations and thoughts that I want to write about but then forget it all once I get home. Some races I cant even remember the course. This one was like that.. I remember all the people at the start, mile 3 when they yelled out our time and I thought we were doing pretty good, runners stopping to high five a group of cute little girls with cow bells, and Chris's never ending chatter.

6.2 miles of Chris yakking away.

If you know Chris you know that he rarely talks, even to me, so the never ending stream of him talking while running is quite funny. I thought it might stop after 3 miles since he has never run farther than that but even a 10k couldn't slow him down.

But really I am not complaining. It does help, it does push me, and it is really nice to run with him. Ill miss him in my upcoming races.

There was one runner that stuck with me because she was wearing a customized garbage bag with her numbers pinned on the front. She had cut the arm holes into a short sleeve shirt, it was fitted through the body, and even longer in the tail. It really was awesome except for the swishing... swish, swish , swish, swish is all you could hear within a 50 foot radius of her. The swishing did help me have a fast mile. I had to get away from it!

The two photos above are all I have of the race since my fan club abandoned me due to the 5:30 am departure time.  Pfft. Fickle bunch, aren't they?

The course had some hills and inclines, I had watch issues at the start that caused us to walk until I fixed it, and the fist mile was crazy crowded so I was slower than I wanted to be. I might have been able to beat my 10k PR with out all of that.
But all things considered, I am happy with my time. It was fun and a good race all around.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot fathom running 6.2 miles. I don't know how you run 12. Really, I need to sit down and rest just reading about it. ;-) Good job.

    ReplyDelete