Saturday, August 29, 2009

Week 2 Day 1 - 8/29/09

Brisk walk for 5 minutes. Run 90 seconds, walk 2 minutes, repeat for 20 minutes.

Today was a new routine and it was brutal. If my first day had been like today I would not have kept running. It doesn't seem like adding 30 more seconds of running would be that big of a deal but it really was for me. It was tough on my lungs and the lingering sinus infection didn't help.
Most of the problem for me today was mental and running is very much a mental game. My ipod wouldn't download a running podcast, Chris and Addison got me off to a late start, I didn't eat well before running, the headwind was back and I was not dressed warm enough, and the list goes on and on. It all added up to put me in a mood that was not good for running.
My lifes mantra is "Everything is what you make of it" and that really applies here. Today was a bad day for running because *I* made it bad.

On a funnier note-
Holy Grasshopper Batman! The grasshoppers were everywhere and completely covering the ground everywhere I ran. Running through them was like parting the grasshopper sea! Normally I don't care about bugs but I do mind when they swarm on me and get in my hair and clothes. Those booger are hard to get off and really stick to you! I didn't want to lose momentum so I kept on going.. all while trying to beat them off of me. I am sure it looked like I was having some sort of seizure while running down the road, to which I am slightly offended that no one stopped to see if I was ok. I think I was several peoples morning entertainment.

2 comments:

  1. Grasshoppers?! That sounds like a blast! I forgot to mention that yesterday - POSITIVE ATTITUDE! Remember, there are plenty of people out there doing this that are overweight, old, sick, injured and cripple. YOU CAn DO THIS and you can enjoy doing it too! You have to find your happy place. You're not running long enough to experience it yet, but soon you'll see what a second wind is (AKA a runner's high!). That's when your endorphines kick into high gear, yoyu feel great and feel like you could run forever! There's NOTHING like it! Well, I can think of 1 THING! :-) Anyway, keep it up. Have fun! Look forward to each run - hopefully soon you won't have to make yourself.

    ReplyDelete