Saturday, June 26, 2010

3 5ks and Jeff Galloway

Over the past week or so I have run 3.1 miles 3 times using the Jeff Galloway method and I must say I am in love. Well, maybe not love since it does require a bit of effort and can be a bit tedious, but I am certainly in like.

I knew about the Galloway program but it totally went against my 'Type A, I am a runner not a runner who walks part of the way' way of thinking. Then I got over myself and realized that whatever I was currently doing was just not working. I still have IT band issues, my hips hurt, and I have lost a lot of cardio from not running as much. So I figured I might as well give it a try. My first run was slow but with a little pain, my second run was a bit faster with less pain, and my third run was the same speed as the second but with no pain at all. My lungs felt fine for the first time in a long while, even in the 90 degree heat.

It did have some cons to it.. it is a bit tedious to check your watch to see when you are supposed to run/walk and the thought of running 4 minutes and then walking 1 for 13.1 miles seems maddening but I think the pros outweigh it at this point. I was able to run and still feel good at the end, I had little pain, and most of all I liked running while doing it.

Some runners look down on this and I know a few will look at me funny when I run/walk run/walk but hey, if they don't like it they don't have to run that way!

13.1 miles is still 13.1 miles! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment