Sunday, June 27, 2010

Siena Francis House 5k Run and 5k Walk

 Today was the Siena Frances House 10k, 5k Run, and 5k walk. I entered to run the 5k and my Step Dad Dave, who is here visiting from Louisiana, entered to do the 5k walk. The day started off pretty hot and humid and I had CB Half flashbacks for a bit. Boy did that make me nervous, especially since this was my first race since then! A cooler breeze did make it bearable and the temps did not rise during the run.

Clearly I need a new hot weather running outfit. That white top has just about had it.




It was the largest race I have been in except for the CB Half and I bet the numbers were pretty close! I think there were about 400 people and Dave guesses 500 including the walkers. I wasn't sure how it would all work since it was held at Lake Zorinski which meant out and back and a not very wide jogging path. That's a lot of people on that type of course. Except for a few out of control kids and a crazy chick who tried to ride through the people on her bike while yelling "on the LEFT!!" it worked out well. They staggered the start times for each group and the 10k did not have an out and back.


I have been on a quest to find the right combo for hydration during a run. I can't drink Gatorade or other sports drinks like that, the GUs and I don't get along, and the Shot Bloks make my teeth feel like they are wearing sweaters. I stumbled upon a running blog where the guy was raving about coconut water. He swore it was the best thing ever since it has something like 15% more potassium than sports drinks, there is no HFCS, and nothing else added. Out of curiosity I tried the pure coconut water and have to say it was terrible. It is a taste I cant even describe and flavor I  cant even get down. I didn't give up though and tried the coconut water with acai juice and then tried the one with mango. Both were winners! I have been drinking it while running and it has really helped with the heat cramps, my hydration issues, and I even think my tempertaure. I drank the one with mango during this race and I did not seem to be as hot as everyone else and I felt fantastic the whole time. I had few double takes at my bottle but no one was brave enough to ask me what I was drinking.

 When you gotta stretch you gotta stretch, right?
There were a whole lot of 'when you gotta's' going on in this race along with other entertaining things. At about the two mile mark there was a bench where quite a few of the walkers stopped for a smoke break. I have never seen so many people at an athletic event smoking.Funny and yet gross.When you gotta smoke you gotta smoke.
At about 2 1/2 miles I saw a guy peeing in the bushes. When you gotta go you gotta go.
There was the previously mentioned crazy chick that tried to ride through the runners all while yelling at us. She yelled at one guy that he shouldn't be running while she was trying to bike. The course was not closed so there were  few other bikers that got caught up in the race but they were honestly  doing their best to get out of the way.
There was a group of women that decided to cheat by walking across the parking lot, cutting out the loop, and cutting off a mile of the route. They were all walkers (the walkers had bibs but no numbers) so I didn't say anything but I did give them the massive Stink Eye as I ran past.
And the best of all - As I cross the finish line I look around trying to find my family expecting them to be cheering me on and spot my Mom and Daughter picking flowers out in the field in front of the 10k finish line. I ran the 5k and the finish line was on the other side... All of which we pointed out to her before the race began. The photo we did get is of me and my daughter in front of the 10k finish with someone else's time on the clock. LOL

Dave said the walk was a good one, he felt great the whole time, and that he really enjoyed it.

Signing the mural that an Artist, standing next to us, for the Siena Francis House. It was really beautiful and how neat that we all got to sign it? Addison and I signed next to each other along the bottom

Overall it was a great race! I did the Jeff Galloway method, had zero pain, passed people along the way, and felt great the entire time I was running. I could have pushed it a bit more and shaved off 20 or 30 seconds but I didnt want to over do it. I wont know my exact time since I didn't really see the race clock and my watch has gone all wonky again. It did show 37:10 and that seems about right. Compared to others that is pretty slow but with coming back from injuries and with the heat and humidity I am pleased with it. Best of all I was pain free! I'll take a slow time and a good race any day!

4 comments:

  1. So happy for you!! The stuff in the water bottle looks like the crystal light lemonade. Maybe I'll try this whole Jeff Galloway method to get back into running. Congrats on finishing another race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a good run at Lake Zorinsky. I'm the guy at the finish line. You asked about where the results would be posted. Here they are for the 5K:
    http://www.sienafrancis.org/pdf/SFH20095KOverallResults-6-29-09.pdf

    And the 10K:
    http://www.sienafrancis.org/pdf/SFH200910KOverallResults.pdf

    I'll bet you've already seen them, but just making sure.

    I like volunteering for the runs so I can simple hang out and talk to people who at least try to keep in good condition and eat healthy. Perhaps these habits are not always mutually inclusive. Ha!

    Perhaps I'll see you at Lake Wehrspann. Good luck with your training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to a picnic at Lake Zorinski about a week or so ago. I had never been before. Looks like a great place to run.

    Congrats on a pain free race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, thanks so much! You were super nice and I appreciate you answering all of my questions. And thanks for volunteering! Hope to see you at Wehrspann!

    Justin, Lake Z is really nice. My watch doesn't want to calibrate so I run there because they have mile markers, even .10 markers. There are tons of races during the summer and fall if you ever want to run there.

    ReplyDelete