Friday, June 18, 2010

Hail and Farewell

According to Wikipedia: A Hail and Farewell is a traditional military event whereby those coming to and departing from an organization are celebrated. It is a time to honor those who have departed the unit and thank them for their service. At the same time it is a welcome to those who are joining and introduces them to the special history and traditions of their new organization. This celebration builds organizational camaraderie and esprit de corps. It supports a sense of continuity through change.

Since my Husband is in the Navy and Hail and Farewells are a big part of my (our) life I figured it was fitting to honor something very near and dear to my running heart.. my shoes.

It is time to honor the pair that are now departing my life and welcome my new ones.




Farewell to the beloved Saucony Omni 8.
You have been such a good shoe and have treated me well. Running with you always felt like I was running on marshmellos. You protected me and never betrayed me with hot spots or blisters. You put up with the many miles I put on you, being drug through water and mud, running on all different surfaces, and the misuse after runs.
You have been my savior during many races - my first 5k, my first 10k,and many races inbetween. You were a great travel companion to Virginia, Louisiana, Illinois, and even the Bahamas. You have served me well and you will be greatly missed. Gone but never forgotten.





Hail and then Farewell to Mizuno Elixer 5.
You are so light weight and feel so good on my feet. You have classic but stylist lines and such a low profile. I hate that it did not work out between us since I did have high hopes for you. Unfortunately you being lightweight means that there is very little support for my type of feet. You just were not a good fit, so to speak. But please know that it is not you and is all me. I am sure you will make someone else very happy.




Hail and then Farewell to Asics Foundation 8.
What a beautiful shoe. I fell in love with you the instant I saw you. The gray hides dirt well and the maroon gives you such a good look. You remind me so much of my first love, the Ominis, but you are a tad bit lighter. I have always loved your brand and see so many people wearing you that it must mean you are a good shoe. And I think you are a good shoe and will be keeping you around but not as my primary running shoe. There is something about you that just doesnt quite work with my feet, again it is me and not you. But I will not forget about you and promise to bring you out of the closet every once in awhile.





Hail to the beloved Saucony Omni 8.
Hello my old friend. It is nice to see you again and I guess the grass really isnt greener over there in shoeworld. I look forward to a very happy 300 - 500 miles with you.


(Yes, I have purchased 3 pairs of running shoes in about 2 weeks. I think I may have a running shoe problem)




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. You wouldn't be the first with such a problem. Hope you and the Omni 8's have a long and rewarding relationship together.

    ReplyDelete