Sunday, November 7, 2010

Halloween 5k

Addison and I were supposed to run in the Monster Dash and Little Goblins run at Valas Pumpkin Patch last weekend but we were out of town for Grandma Greats funeral. I heard it was a great race but challenging due to the hills. I would be interested to see the elevation of the race since I know how tired I am after spending the day at Valas.
Will, the President of Team Nebraska, was kind enough to save our tee shirts for us so we still have a memento.


We found a Halloween 5k in Illinois while we were there. The course had a pretty big hill with a few baby hills so I wasn't all that sure about doing it. I really was looking for a super flat 5k to get a new PR. Race season is coming to a close and I really wanted to get a great time to make up for not pushing it on the last 5k I did. Knowing me and hills, I didn't think I would do all that well on this course.  My training plan called for me to run 5k anyway so Chris and I decided to do it and see what happened.

There were no kids events so it was just me and Chris. My Fickle Fan Club ditched the race for a warmer environment so there are no photos for this one.

It was pretty cold so I wore my new Nike half zip jacket over another compression top. Apparently I get really hot when running and half way through started to overheat and then tried to take the jacket off while running. We were making good time so I didn't want to slow down to do it. Besides, how hard could it be to take off a top while running?
 For me.. HARD. Part of the problem is that I had put my Garmin on over the sleeve and then forgot that fact when I was trying to get the top off. I got it over my head, one arm out and then got stuck. To make matters worse the jacket had thumb holes, which I also forgot about. To make maters even worse, my racing numbers were pinned to the front of the jacket and partially to my shirt.I was determined to get it off and not to slow down.

But have you ever tried to run with your vision partially blocked by a thick jacket, your thumb bent backwards, your hand tied up across your body unable to swing, layers pinned together, all while going up hill?
Chris said I looked like someone in a straight jacket who is running from the mental ward while being stung by bees. Harsh.. but yet so true.

 I picked someone to keep up with and  try to pass and was able to do so. We were a good pace behind her most of the way and only caught up at the end when we had to sprint up the hill to the finish line. By the way.. steep uphill finish lines are just plain cruel.

My time to beat was 34:14. With the hills and Jacket Drama I knew it would be close, if not a little over my PR. Chris knew our time and was really pushing me up the hill to the finish line. Imagine my surprise to see my official time of 33:55!
I haven't been able to find the results on line but the race director told me that we were 60 and 61 of 135. I don't know how that falls out for my age group or women but I will be interested to see. Regardless, I'll take a 19 second PR any day!



No comments:

Post a Comment