Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Turkey Trot 5k

A week and a half ago (Where has the time gone? I knew I was late in writing this but not a week and a half late!) I ran in the Turkey Trot 5k at the Common Ground Community Center.

Holy hill (s) running man!

The course was pretty nice, except for the monster hill on the way back. I was running in a group of people when we started down the hill in the beginning of the race. One lady said "Hey, this is nice to run downhill. I am going to do great!" Not really thinking I said "Yeah, but we have to run UP the hill on the way back". Boy, if looks could kill!

There were quite a few people, they allowed you to wait inside for the start, and there were plenty of bagels and drinks. It was nice to see a policeman on the course since it wasn't closed, even if it was mostly in a neighborhood. The start was well done but the ending and after was quite strange. 

There was no time clock, just two people with stop watches. One for the girls and one for the boys. The finish line even had two lanes. One for the girls and one for the boys. The person with the stop watch called out your number and time as you crossed and someone with a clip board wrote it all down. 
I have been to a race without a time clock but never have I seen the finish line separated and then even the results totally separate. The results were only by age group and on two sheets of paper. One for the girls and one for the boys. Even as addicted to numbers as I am, I dont have the effort to take all the times and figure out where I am overall and female. 

But I do know that I was 11th of 17 for my age group and I got a PR! WOOT!  

32:19!

Boy was I shocked when I realized that my PR was by 1 minute and 36 seconds! I had only run once that week and it was my 4th consecutive weekend to run a race. I thought for sure I was getting close to burn out with all that racing. There was also that aforementioned hill that I had to walk quite a bit of and the fact that I was by myself without Chris pushing me. 

Chris was out of town and Addison was with a babysitter so this was the first time I was completely by myself. It was a bit strange not to see my family at some point during the race. I realized how much I like having them there.. even if I have to listen to the complaining about the early morning get ups!
I wasn't totally alone though..I did meet Monica (who had found this blog before the race) and her husband. They were super nice and great fun to hang out with before and after the race.  It was her first 5k and she did fantastic! ..and smoked me by about 5 minutes. Good job to her! I hope to run with them again sometime.

Taken after I got home from the race. Got to love a 6 year old with a camera.

1 comment:

  1. You are so good with race day pictures! Would you believe I didn't get one from the Turkey Trot?? My very first 5K and no picture - sad!

    Glad we got to meet that day. Looking forward to another race with you too!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete