Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wednesday - 5/5/10


Training plan: Run 9 miles. Warm up and cool down.

Warm up/Cool down - .42
Running total - 9 miles
Grand total - 9.42 miles

So running 9 miles in brand new shoes is probably not a good idea.

I went to a running store to be properly fitted and to get new shoes but they didn't have the ones they recommended in stock. So I ordered them from an online store and for some reason the shipping was delayed a day. I skipped a day to wait for them and then was behind a day with running. The smart thing would have been to run in my old shoes and then break in my new shoes gradually. But in my running craziness I ran 9 miles in them.

Miles 1 and 2 were bad but they always are. It doesn't matter the distance, 3 miles or 7 miles, my first two are always bad. At about mile 4 my knee started to hurt. My knees have never hurt so I was a bit surprised. Mile 5 my knee was on fire and felt like someone was stabbing me in the kneecap. At mile 6 my lungs and brain hit the runners high and I felt fantastic. I honestly felt like I could run forever and was on cloud 9. My body felt like it was floating and I was barely even breathing. I could totally see why people get addicted to long distance running.

But if my lungs had hit the runners high then my knee had hit a runners low.

It was awful. Making matters worse I was on an out and back course so no matter what I had to go about 3 more miles to get home. Me being me decided to run it instead of walking because I would get home that much faster. Probably not a smart idea.

When I got home it was almost like my body had a split personality. My lungs felt great, I was not out of breath in any way even after 9 miles, and really wanted to keep running. I could have run a half marathon that day.
But my kneecap felt like it was about to pop off of my leg and my hip was a hot poker that stabbed me any time I moved.

What caused all of this besides not breaking in new shoes? Well, at mile 8 I looked down and saw that my shoe was untied, really untied and loose all through out my foot, and my foot was floating all around in the shoe. The laces had gotten caught behind my foot pod so I didn't notice them flopping around but I still don't know how I didn't realize that my shoe was so messed up.

Just my running luck.

Times for the run:
5k - 33:59
10k - 1:08:54
8 miles - 1:35:08
9 miles - 1:47:00

Even with all of the shoe/knee drama I still had a decent time and a faster 10k time than the last run.

Now it's off to ice and rest. At least until I can't take it anymore and go run again.


.


.

1 comment: