Friday, October 8, 2010

And so it begins... again.

I started training for another half marathon a few weeks ago. I feel so much better physically and mentally about it this time and am determined to do it the right way. I have run 6 miles a few times the past few weeks and am happy to say that I don't have any pain and I am getting faster. Thanks Jeff Galloway!

I am following his plan and adding a day of deep water pool running. Three days a week plus a pool day is manageable for me. I think the other plan of 5 days of running was just too much on my body and too much with my schedule. There are a few days of intervals in there to give it a bit of a challenge.

Today was Week 3 Day 4 - long run and I ran 6 miles. On your long run days you are supposed to run at least 2 minutes per mile slower than your normal pace, more if it is warm out. Do you know how hard it is to run that slow? I am a 10:30 to 11:00 minute miler so I had to run at 12:30 to 13:00 minutes, plus 30 seconds to 1 minute more because it was about 75 degrees out. That put me at running a 14 minute mile. Heck I walk that fast on my walking segments! I looked pretty funny out there going so slow. But I have to admit that it did work. I was not out of breath, had no pain, and felt like I could have kept on going. I actually look forward to long runs now.

Crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go. I have to admit that you have actually got me thinking of starting to run..

    ReplyDelete