Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tuesday - 3/2/10



Castaway Cay 5k race day!

Castaway Cay is Disneys private island where all of the Disney cruise ships stop. Each time they stop they have a 5k run for anyone on the ship. There were about 10 people in our race along with the Cast Member who acted as the race leader. We did not have racing numbers but they did have a timing clock and an official time keeper.

The race started where the ship was docked, went through the restaurants and shops, down the bike path, and down the old airport landing strip. The beginning of the run was wonderful. There was a breeze, it was cool, and we were the first ones on the island. Towards the end the people were all over the place and did not want to move over for the runners. It got a bit warm and the wind died down. But it was still a great day to run and I would take it any day!

For running the race we all received a Disney Cruise Line water bottle, a Magical Moments button, and a pretty cool Certificate.

Best of all I got a new PR of 31:31! I was not sure how I would do since I had not run outside in so long, was not use to the heat, and was running against experienced runners. Two of the runners had run in the Boston Marathon and 2 others had run other Marathons so I knew it was going to be fast and that I didn't have a chance. I did get a personal best but I also came in dead last! LOL

I did place in the top 10 though.. out of 10. ;)

1 comment: