Sunday, August 8, 2010

Boxer 500 5k Race

Brutal is how I would describe the race today.

It was so hot and humid with the heat index at 87 degrees(111 degrees later in the day) the sun was out in full force, and there was very little wind. The course was beautiful around the lake though and there was lots of scenery. Not that I was looking.. I was just trying to keep from throwing up.


The 5k race course.



My cheering squad.. At the correct finish line this time.


The winner was the guy in orange.



Trying to cross the starting line.

I now understand why they say not to try anything new on race day. Normally I drink coconut water (peach or mango) and water it down to about half and half, otherwise it is just too sweet. We were running a bit late this morning so I forgot to water it down. The extra sugar, baked in by the heat, just sat there in my stomach the whole time. At about mile 1.5 it hit me and I wasn't sure if I was going to pass out from the heat or throw up from the sugar. I was running a 3:1 run/walk ratio and had to drop down to a 1:1 ratio because my belly couldn't take it anymore. For a while I had to just walk. A lot. A lot more than I ever want to walk in a race and had to will myself to kept going. Rumor has it that some didn't finish and certainly see why. I think everyone, except the guy in orange, walked at some point.



The closest I'll ever come to an age group medal.

But honestly even with the brutal heat, the way too sweet drink, the blazing sun, and my body wanting to give up, it was a good race. It was a good race in that I put mind over matter, accomplished all 3 of my racing goals (1. Finish, 2. Don't throw up, 3. Don't pass out) and actually had a good race. I was expecting my time to be terribly horrific. For most runners it probably was.

My watch time was :38:30. And I am perfectly ok with that.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Way to go with your determination to get through it. I really wanted to go watch that race but was committed to go hiking with some friends. I'm not prepared to run a race yet, but do plan to run the GO Girl Run 5k. Are you planning to run that one?

    ReplyDelete