Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pool Running

My Physical Therapist has been bugging me to add water running as part of my therapy and I finally got round to doing it.

Boy, am I glad I did!

It was easy on my joints but a tough work out. After 40 minutes of running I was sweating.. in the pool. lol I have gone twice now and am adding it to my running plan.

Here is the low down on pool running..
Athletes of all sorts can attain the benefits of deep water running. It is a great form of cross training and an excellent way to deal with and prevent injuries. Water running can allow an injured athlete to recover without loosing fitness. It can also help with improving running form and decreasing risk of sustaining injuries by decreasing the stress on running on hard surfaces. The most popular form of aqua training devices among runners is theAquaJogger. Made from EVA foam it looks like a belt that you strap around your waist. Almost any flotation vest or belt will work nearly as well. The goal is to keep your body afloat while allowing you to perform a running motion without stress to the body.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

  1. I may need to try this out! I struggle with shin splints (over and over and over) and am having a hard time sitting around and just doing yoga when I am SO motivated to do more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pool ran for weeks last spring when my achilles was injured. I always said I'd keep a day of pool running in my weekly schedule, alas that did not happen. Glad you're enjoying it though!

    ReplyDelete