Sunday, April 18, 2010

Saturday - 4/17/10


Race Day!

Lake Manawa 10k, Council Bluffs, Iowa.
6.2 miles in 1:10:11

What a fantastic day and race for my first 10k! I got a new fast time for 6.2 miles and had a really good run. I completely forgot to drink pickle juice before I left so I was a little worried about my lungs and endurance but it turned out fine. It was not as great as the infamous pickle juice run but it was close.

The weather was beautiful and the race took us around a really pretty lake and park. At one point we cut through a neighborhood where the only traffic control was a policeman on a bicycle and boy did the drivers take advantage of that. I am always shocked, and a bit angry, that people driving don't take care of the runners and even get a bit aggressive. I have been known to yell at a few of them and I yelled at a few more during this race.

I found another runner who was at my pace and we ran together for about 4 of the miles. It was nice to chat with her and to have someone to run with. She is also running the Council Bluffs Half Marathon so I may have a running partner again. I stopped at a water station and she kept going. I hated to lose her but I kept her in my sights which also helped me keep going.

It was a small race, benefiting a local school, but it was well done and so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment