Sunday, April 25, 2010

Saturday - 4/24/10


Race Day!

5th Annual Arbor Day 5k Trail Run
3.1 miles in :36:00

Another great race.. even though the hills were KILLER! Whoever said the course was flat wasn't quite telling the truth. The only flat section was when we crossed a road to get to more hills. It was a trail run in the true sense.. through mud, over sticks, and in the woods. I knew I wasn't going to get a PR but I was proud that I did very little walking, even on the big hills. I don't really train for hills so it was a bit of a shock to my system.

Nebraska City was beautiful with all the green trees, rolling hills, apple orchards, and lush grass. The scenery helped me keep my mind off of the dang hills!

Part of running in a race is getting a goodie bag. Some are a bit lame (my first 5k where all the pamphlets were for an assisted living home) and some are really cool (Disney water bottle, magnet, and certificate) but this one was the most unusual. The goodie bag was filled with tons of discount coupons and samples of different items.. all related to planning a wedding. There were coupons for discounts on engagement photos, wedding photo packages, bed and breakfasts, event halls, and wedding planners. There were samples of soaps, pastries, and little cakes. It was pretty strange for 200 runners to get these goodie bags. I think the Nebraska City Chamber got their bags mixed up!

I also bet there are some pretty bewildered brides who don't know what to do with all of their running coupons. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment