Monday, November 16, 2009

Monday - 11/16/09

Ran 2.5 miles. Should have been 3.1 miles.

Today was an interesting day for two reasons...
1)the time/speed/distance on my watch did not match up with the treadmill
2)the crazy lady.

This was the first time I was able to check the stats on my watch and foot pod versus the stats on the treadmill. I had not calibrated the footpod because everything I read said that you did not need too. I think I needed to. The pace time on my watch was 26 seconds slower than what the treadmill said.. so when my watch said 12:46 the treadmill said 12:20. I tried several different speeds and each time my watch was 24 to 26 seconds off.

If this is true then that means that my training times have really been approximately 40.02, 39.35, 39.34, and 37.08. Wow. I dont know enough about training with a watch to know it it translates the same on the road vs. the treadmill or if it will be off. Based on the pure math of the treadmill nubers.. running with the speed set to 5 mph which is 12 minute miles according to math and the treadmill but 12:26 on my watch.. I am more likely to believe the treadmill. Wow again.

I used the second mile to calibrate the foot pod and the numbers were more in line with each other after the calibration. I still dont know if I trust it so I am going to recalibrate it on the road and then try it on the treadmill again.

So on to the crazy lady and why I didnt run a full 3.1 miles..
I got a late start to the day so I did not get to the Y until lunch time and the place was packed. There was only one treadmill left next to a girl that looked at about my fitness level and speed. So I started on my warm up walk, was getting into the mental zone about to run, and the girl next to me starts screaming at herself. Outloud. It honestly scared me that I almost fell off the treadmill.

She started yelling at herself saying things like "COME ON. COME OOOOONNN. Dont be a big fat QUITTER! You're a QUITTER! QUITTER!" About every half a mile she would yell something "do it! DOOO ITTTTT! ARRRGH! ARRGH ARRGH!" It was just so bizarre and I couldnt take it anymore and quit at 2.5 miles.

I am all for whatever you need to do for motivation but could you please do it 4 or 5 treadmills down from me? Thats a little too much motivation right up next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment