Sunday, November 29, 2009

Saturday - 11/28/09 5K race!

Today was the official 5k race to celebrate the Couch to 5K program!

Amanda and I ran in the 2nd Annual G3 "Stuff 'N Puff" 5K Run/Walk in Sullivan, Il and finished with a new best time of 35:35! Whoo Hoo. Amanda also got 3rd place for her age group. How awesome is that?

It was scary, exciting, nerve wracking, and so much much fun that I can't wait to do it again!
Part of the fun was seeing all the different people, the different age groups running, and the funny things. There was a guy dressed in turkey feathers, a guy dressed as Santa who lost half of his costume half way through the race, a guy whose socks said left and right, a group dressed in '80s flashbacks, and a little old lady and a little old man that came in faster than we did! On one hand talk about an ego buster.. on the other hand You go Grandpa/Grandma!

The run happened so fast that there wasn't much time to think of things and to remember to do all of the things I normally do in a run. I watched my speed but completely forgot to watch my time. Had I realized how well we were doing I could have pushed it and come in under my super secret goal of 34.59. We also slowed down at the end so that Chris and Sue to take photos of us. LOL. What is more important.. good photos of your first race or a fast time? Geez, that really is a toss up! ;)

So stats from the run.. I had my fastest overall time and also my fastest mile! I did not wear the heart monitor so I don't have the stats for that.

Mile #1: 10:37

Mile #2: 11:13

Mile #3: 12:45

I think we slowed down so much on that last mile because we got caught up in the excitement at the start and ran too fast. At one point we were doing 8 minute miles when we were in the pack!

Sue, Richard, Chris, and Addison were there to cheer us on and I am so glad they were there to see me run. Addison told me that next time I run in a race she wants to run too and that she could help me go faster. Hey, whatever it takes!

No comments:

Post a Comment