Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Week 2 Day 3 - 9/2/09

Brisk walk for 5 minutes. Run 90 seconds, walk 2 minutes, repeat for 20 minutes.

I can not believe that I am about to say this.. I think I actually like running. Not in a 'I'm going to do this and then run a marathon' kinda thing but more like this Couch to 5k thing is not all that bad. Today's run was a good one with the exception of some pain in my shins and ankles. I have been doing toe exercises and jumped rope a few times so hopefully that will help.

I was reading this really funny article about people that run so slow that they look like a penguin waddling own the road. There is a whole group of people out there that proudly call themselves Penguins. They have support groups, tee shirts, web sites, and even a motto - "No Need for Speed".

Olympic runners run less than 4 minutes a mile. Typical marathon runners usually run between 4:45 and 5 minute miles. Stats say that a really good marathon runner can run a mile in 5 to 6 minutes. An average runner runs about 9 minutes a mile. My friend Jimmy ran a 5k in 16 minutes, so that was a 5.3 minute mile. According to the map my run site, today I ran 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. If you do the math that works out to be about a 13.3 minute mile. In all fairness only about 9 minutes of that was spent running and the rest was walking. But still. 13.3?

I am a Penguin. Where is my tee shirt?

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Corey! I'm happy that you're starting to enjoy it! You're way too thin to be a member of the Penguin Club! :-) Keep it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Corey! I love reading your posts as they always make me laugh. In the beginning stages of C25K like we are in, time is not of the essence as we will pick the pace up later on. The big thing that matters is going out each time for our runs and continually placing one foot in front of the other! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete