Friday, January 1, 2010

Thursday - 12/31/09

Cardio: 30-45 minute run. 60-80% MHR

I ran an 8k today! That's 4.97 miles.. Whoo Hoo!

I am in Louisiana so I took full advantage of the great running weather and ran outside. I psyched myself up and decided that, no matter what, I was going to run 4 miles. Why waste the opportunity?

I think being outside and off of the treadmill, being in a new place with new things to look at while running, and the endurance work I have been doing, made all the difference and allowed me to run that far. Time and the miles seemed to go by quickly and I did notice that I was having an easier time breathing.

After the 3.1 miles I decided that I was going to go for it and run the 4.97 miles for an 8k. I walked a little bit after the 5k and then purposely slowed down for the remainder of the run. I had never run that far before and didn't want to burn out so close to my goal.

I am pretty sure that 59:50 is a bad time for an 8k but I am just thrilled that I did it. I also got a new PR on my 5k with a time of 34:28.

We have two more days here so I am going to keep taking advantage of the weather. I really dont want to go home, where the high today was 4 degrees, because I am positive I can't run an 8k on the treadmill. Although I did get a lot of cold weather gear for Christmas that I ust may have to try out.

Stats from the run:
Miles ran - 4.97
Time - 59:50
5k split - 34:28

Warm up/cool down miles - .60

Total miles - 5.57
Total time - 1:09:50

1 comment:

  1. Have I mentioned I'm jealous and I might not like you anymore? Why I keep reading the blog while you're in perfect outdoor running weather is beyond me. ;-) Good for you! I think regardless, running almost an hour is great training. I remember in November, back before the high for the day was 2*, when I ran 4 miles outside. It was exhilarating and I felt so accomplished that I could have gone on forever.

    ReplyDelete